DIY Puppy Bow Ties


I was at Target a while ago, browsing the pet section, and they had some adorable bow ties for dogs. Pippin is a good sport and doesn't mind wearing clothes and things, and I knew he would look adorable with a bow tie. I knew Scout would be a handsome fellow with one, too, but he's not the best sport :) And as we all know, bow ties are cool (Dr. Who reference, anyone?)! Instead of buying, I figured I could just make them some. They are super quick and easy to make, especially if you already know how to make a bow, but I'll walk you through the steps:


You'll Need: Some fabric of your choice, scissors, a needle and embroidery thread, a pup with a collar.
  1. Choose your fabric, a sturdy cotton works best in my opinion. You don't need much so you can use some scraps if you have them lying around.
  2. Cut out a rectangle, size will vary depending on the size of your dog. Also, keep in mind that you'll be folding it in thirds. I wanted my bow tie to appear a bit over-sized, so I just held my fabric up to Pippin and eyeballed a size that looked good.
  3. Fold your rectangle in thirds, lengthwise.
  4. Fold it again, in the other direction, overlapping the ends in the middle.
  5. To create your bow shape, pinch the folded fabric together. you'll want to add some stitches through the center to make sure the bow shape will stay in place.
  6. Next, create the center "knot" of the bow tie using a long thin piece of fabric. 
  7. Fold this piece in thirds as well to make sure it is nice and sturdy.
  8. Create a loop with this piece. Wrap the long piece around the bow you've created to see how big your loop should be.You'll want to leave a little extra room to be able to slip your dog's collar through.
  9. Once you've measured the size of your loop, stitch it up and cut of the excess. Then flip it right side out so the seam is on the inside of the loop.
  10. Slip the loop back around the bow and your bow-tie is done!

Simply slide your dog's collar through the back of the loop on the new bow-tie and then get it on your pup! Admire how dapper and cute he looks.

No comments :

Post a Comment