DIY Dishwasher Magnet


I have a very simple DIY for you today. Because something was bothering me. Yea problem solving!


I tend to be the one to unload the dishwasher, being as I am the person who is home the most. Which is fine. But every so often there will be a time when I don't know if the dishwasher was ever started. You know, you open the dishwasher up, it's stuffed, and maybe the dishes are clean? But you decide to go for it and put them away and half way through one is really grimy and stinky and you realize they weren't clean. And then you have to remember which were the ones you just put away so you can actually wash them and and and...

I made a magnet! Because our lovely dishwasher's "clean" light is always on. And I just like to know, you know? See how I made this simple magnet for the dishwasher, that tells you whether to load dishes or unload dishes, below:


How to make a dishwasher indicator magnet:
  1. What you'll need: Mod Podge, a paint brush, scissors, adhesive magnetic strips, scrapbook paper, a printed image/text to indicate if the dishes are dirty or clean -- I've included the chalkboard inspired image I made below for you to print and use. 
  2. Cut out your image, leaving a small border if preferred.
  3. Adhere the cut image to the scrapbook paper with a thin layer of Mod Podge or glue. Allow to dry. Once dry and in place, apply a very thin layer of Mod Podge over the top of your image. 
  4. Again, allow the Mod Podge to dry completely. The layers of Mod Podge may cause the paper to curl or warp slightly. Set under something heavy, like a stack of books, for an hour or longer to flatten. If your adhesive magnets are on a roll, they may be curved as well, and can be flattened also.
  5. Once flattened, cut to desired size.
  6. Attach adhesive magnets on to the back, and it is ready to place on your dishwasher.
*If you have the means to laminate your magnet, I would recommend doing so. I do not, so Mod Podge will work for now.

Feel free to use the following image (500 x 313 px):

^just right click and save^


Now, of course, here's to hoping the magnet actually gets flipped as it should.

1 comment :

  1. what a nifty little idea... Might do it..

    Our machine is very very quiet you don't know its on half the time ...

    Stephanie
    www.in-my-backyard.net

    ReplyDelete