Herb Crusted Tofu with Mushrooms over Greens

So. . . I have this new love affair with mushrooms. Before I'd always been just like, eh, about them. To be honest, I can be a bit of a picky eater at times. I mean, I do love a whole array of flavors and I will try absolutely anything at least once. There is not a single vegetable or fruit I dislike. I think mostly it is more of a texture thing than anything. That is the thing that I hated the most about meat. Something about the texture of mushrooms has always thrown me off; it is almost a bit meaty and well, spongy. But I decided to give them a try again recently and I'm so glad I did. I guess I am over the texture thing (maybe) because they are so delicious! I feel like I have missed out on a whole array of mushroom related cuisines in my life and I must make up for it! So I've been putting them in everything I can think of. Here's a little recipe for a sort of salad I ate for dinner last week.




Herb Crusted Tofu with Mushrooms over Greens (adapted from a Revolt recipe: Herb Crusted Steak)
Makes 3 to 4 servings

One 12.3 oz package extra-firm Tofu
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil 
kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 of a red onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced

Fresh mixed greens such as spinach, romaine lettuce, kale, etc.
Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, to taste



Directions: Prep your tofu by removing as much moisture as possible and slice into thin pieces. Combine garlic, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and olive olive together in a bowl. Lay out the tofu slices and coat each side thoroughly with the herb mixture, rubbing it in a bit. Put into a tupperware container and refrigerate overnight (for up to 24 hours).



Directions (cont): Slice up the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms (zucchini is delicious here too). Place the sliced vegetables in a pan with a few tablespoons olive olive and lightly grill over medium heat. In another (large) pan cook the prepared tofu over medium high heat. There should be enough olive oil coating the slices, but if the tofu starts to stick at all add a bit more oil to the pan. Grill on each side, flipping as needed, until slightly crispy and golden brown. Arrange a mix of fresh greens in a bowl and top with a drizzle of both extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and toss. Top the greens with a portion of the warm vegetables and some slices of the grilled tofu.






Enjoy your mushroom paradise.

6 comments :

  1. carlisa creterMay 31, 2013

    This looks soo good! I iffy about tofu, but if made right i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good! I love a vegetable-packed recipe. I too am iffy about mushrooms. I seem to love them cooked, but not much when they're raw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! Love it. I don't eat tofu that much (I don't like the term meat substitute because as a vegetarian I don't think my veggies need substitute) but that's just me! I think I will try this but marinate some egg plant and cook it with the veggies! Your food posts are amazing!!! As a vegetarian yourself, do you love how colorful food is? For some reason I love eating a rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the meat substitutes. I really don't like things that try to taste like meat, either, because I obviously don't like meat to begin with. But I feel differently about tofu. It's kind of it's own thing and has a flavor all its own. I do use it in place of meat in recipes, though, because sometimes I just really need the protein :) and tofu has a lot of it. Quinoa and beans are other protein favorites of mine (and things I'll sub for meat in recipes I find). And yes, I love colorful food. And just pretty food in general; I take forever to cook because I always try to make it look nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of them raw either. I'll have to work up to that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should marinate tofu over night in soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Or even just some italian dressing. So yummy :)

    ReplyDelete