Moisturizing Cinnamon Honey Salt Scrub



My skin has a tendency to really dry out often. It's due to the dry air here, I think. Exfoliating scrubs and intense moisturizing are a regular must of mine, lest I want my skin looking dull. But you know, what? Beauty products are a little (or a lot) too expensive for my liking. And 9 times out of 10, I can't use store-bought stuff anyway thanks to my sensitive skin. It really reacts poorly to all those harsh chemicals. I've heard it said that you shouldn't put anything on your skin that you would be uncomfortable eating. Because, in truth, what you put on your skin is going to be absorbed by your body. So I make nearly everything I put on my skin at home; my skin is all the better for it.

Body scrubs are no exception. I love salt scrubs because, well, they are so simple to make. Also, they always leave me wonderfully smooth. Have you ever used a store-bought exfoliating scrub that ends up just drying you out even more? This recipe won't; I promise! It is a great moisturizer, too. I've experimented a lot with different salt scrubs, throwing in a variety of ingredients from my kitchen. This is my favorite concoction yet. It rubs on great, washes of clean, and leaves you feeling smoother and moisturized. The scent is very light and just a little sweet. Just how I like it.


For this Cinnamon Honey Salt Scrub you will need:

1/2 cup coarse kosher salt or sea salt or a mixture of the two
1/4 cup almond oil
1/8 cup olive oil
2 to 3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

First, choose your container. I like to use old glass jars (this one once contained pesto I think), they store well in a bathroom draw and I can just pull it out when I need to. I don't keep glass jars in the shower all the time out of fear of knocking it hard enough in the tub and shattering the glass. You can use a plastic container, if that suits you better. Combine the salt and oil in your container. Oil doesn't really like mixing with anything, so really get it stirred around well. After that, measure out and add the honey and cinnamon, stirring well to combine thoroughly. If it is a little too oily, add some more salt until desired consistency is reached.




That's it! I told you it was super easy. Of course, there a tons of different combinations you can do to make a great salt scrub. You can also add some essential oils, for a more scented scrub. But this is a combination I am really loving. Mostly because of how great it is for my skin.

Olive oil is so great at moisturizing. The Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians even used it as an anti-aging remedy, thanks to it's rich supply of Vitamin E that can restore skin's elasticity. It also contains Vitamin A and other antioxidants which allow it to work as a cleanser, moisturizer, and skin protector.  Almond oil is also rich in Vitamins E, as well as Vitamin B, healthy fats, proteins, minerals, and dietary fiber. People who suffer from eczema and psoriasis can use the oil to help reduce inflammation, redness, and itching. You can even rub some almond oil under your eyes to get rid of dark circles and reduce puffiness. Honey is really wonderful for all skin types, even very sensitive skin like mine. It is an antibacterial and anti-fungal agent, which helps defeat acne. Honey is also full of antioxidants and will remove impurities and helps detoxify your skin. Not to mention it will also naturally clean skin while also moisturizing, leaving it real soft. Cinnamon is another one that is great for the treatment of acne, as well as eczema. Cinnamon can be slightly irritating when applied to skin, though, but combined with the oil I have experienced no irritation. However, I wouldn't use a salt scrub more than once or twice a week.


No matter what combination you choose, keep in mind that a little separation is natural and most likely going to happen. Just give it a quick stir before using it.





You can even make this into cute little gifts. Or just cute for yourself; I'm all about that. To use, just apply to dry or slightly damp skin. Give it a good rub and scrub, and then simply rinse off with water. Your skin may get a little pink or red, but don't let that scare you. The redness should go away quickly, as will all those impurities and dead skin cells. And all that good oil will instantly make your skin feel so wonderfully moisturized. I've been using this a lot lately, thanks to the terrible sunburn (I got on this trip) that is now peeling like a meanie. Oh boy, has it helped so much.

Do you make your own salt scrubs or beauty products? What has been your favorite creation?

8 comments :

  1. moonofsilverMay 30, 2013

    This looks amazing! I'm really loving your blog. I use olive oil when shaving and it works great. I'm going to try making this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I definitely want to phase out my chemical ridden body products (and save major $$) Could I just use more olive oil instead of both olive and almond oil? Almond oil looks like it'd be a great addition for all of it's benefits, but it isn't something that I have on hand at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course! You can use just about any oil you have on hand. If you're interested in natural products, one of my very first posts was about Coconut Oil: http://ohwhimsicalme.blogspot.com/2013/03/natural-beauty-coconut-oil.html
    I use it for just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read that post! I'm definitely going to pick some up once some of my other beauty products run out. What I love about coconut oil is that it's so simple! One product = several uses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is very watery? What did I do wrong? I put salt, almond oil, olive oil, cinnamon, honey then stir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I doubt you did anything wrong. I don't mind my mixture being a bit oily, the oils are great for your skin and very moisturizing. But if your mixture is too oily, you can simply add in more salt until you reach a desired consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joshua DuchesneMay 16, 2014

    Can you use this as a mask or just a face wash?'

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Emorie. Love the photographs. You obviously put in a lot of thought. We shall pin for sure. Have you considered using Ceylon Cinnamon Bark Oil instead of the powder? Also wondering if the salt crystals could scratch the skin? Is that why you recommend not to use it more than once a week?

    ReplyDelete