Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I love banana bread. It is no secret. In fact, I love bananas baked in just about any form. Banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and frosted banana bars anyone? They make whatever they are baked into so dreamy and creamy and perfect. I usually stay true to tradition and make my mom's recipe every time I make banana bread, but this last time I was missing some vital ingredients and so I decided to mix it up and make my own. My mom isn't much of a fan of spiced breads, but I sure am; I was sure to add both cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as a bit of cloves to this loaf. I also decided to use brown sugar and leave out the vanilla. And of course, this girl must have chocolate. My old recipe was good, but this one is perfect. Yes, my food reflects me. And it is delicious. Next time you've got some super ripe bananas lying around (I always do, I like them that way), give this bread a try before they go bad. 

And you'll have to excuse the fact that I don't have a picture of the full pretty loaf; this was a late night baking whim and the lighting was terrible (and we couldn't wait to dig in). These are the delicious remnants the next morning. 





Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, makes one loaf

3 very ripe bananas
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup organic unbleached flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine or butter substitute
1 beaten egg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt and ground cloves
1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan by coating it with cooking spray. In a large bowl mash the bananas thoroughly with the back of a fork until no large clumps remain. Add the melted butter, brown sugar and the beaten egg stirring thoroughly with a wooden spoon or spatula. Slowly add in the flour while stirring the mixture at the same time; once the flour is combined into the mixture, add all the spices and baking soda. Finally, stir in the mini chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the batter out by placing the pan on the counter and gently shaking it side to side. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.



xx Enjoy with a cup of coffee or a warm chai latte.

2 comments :

  1. noms.The bread is almost as cute as your polka-dot shots! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. tasteslikeloveAugust 17, 2013

    Oh man that looks & sounds so delicious! It would be fantastic with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete