Double Berry Smoothie



Something you should know about me: I am a habitual smoothie drinker. Smoothies, to me, are the perfect afternoon snack, quick breakfast, or even (gasp!) dessert. It is easy to combine simple ingredients that you likely have lying around needing to be used up, to create healthy and tasty drinks. Smoothies are my personal go-to for when that afternoon hunger hits. They're usually light enough that I'll still be hungry for dinner, yet substantial enough that I feel satisfied (and can wait a few more hours to start dinner). I'm just a smoothie kind of gal. The thicker and chunkier the better, am I right?

I thought it'd be fun to share my favorite smoothie with you. I think it is an utterly perfect and simple combination, and I have one almost daily. Is that sad and boring? Maybe. But delicious. Raspberries and blueberries go wonderfully together, balancing out eachothers' tartness and sweetness. Like a happy berry romance. Oats and greek yogurt give it some substance and protein, while the orange juice and cinnamon spice it all up, just a bit.

If sounds right up your alley, see the recipe below.



DOUBLE BERRY SMOOTHIE | yield: 2 servings

For the Smoothie                                                    

1 ripe banana
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup oats
2 heaping tablespoons honey greek yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk (more if needed)
a splash of orange juice
a dash of cinnamon

Instructions                                                             

+ Mash the banana a bit and place it in the blender first.
+ Measure out all other ingredients and place in the blender.
+ Blend until smooth.
+ Add more almond milk, if needed, little by little.



Enjoy!

xx Emorie

7 comments :

  1. I've never tried adding oats, but I'm going to give that a shot now! This looks good (and your ingredients photo is so cute!). My standard smoothie is yogurt, banana, blueberries, spinach, flax seed, and a splash of orange juice, so we're on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds incredibly good. I've never thought about adding oats either, but I want to try it. Also, I love your picture for your recipe!
    -Emily
    http://ideasofemily.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks deeee-licious!! Def will be trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love smoothies too! You're right that they're the perfect snack for putting something in the belly without filling you up too much. We've been so lazy lately and buying bottled juices and smoothies, which is so silly because they're so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia NelsonMarch 13, 2014

    do you have any tips on how to afford such yummy food? i was a vegetarian for a while and loved it but i was also a poor college student. do you go to farmer's markets?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the most beautiful recipe EVER. Love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks ridiculously delicious. I don't know if I'd like with oats, but I had a phase where I added oats to just about everything (so I could finish up a bag I bought before I realized breakfast oatmeal would make me want to vomit) and it was a pretty good phase. Can't wait for the weather to be a bit warmer though, that's when I really get into smoothies.

    ReplyDelete